Thursday, March 5, 2015

Some of the contextual research that I did for the deserted village brief, along with some characters that we didn't get time to include













This research was to gain an insight into the style of clothing worn at the time - for our characters. I also tried to get an idea of what the inside of a tavern/pub would have looked like.






 
The top character was to be the old man laughing. As I didn't have a background to work with I imagined him leaning against the bar counter. I also animated him laughing, i.e. shaking head and shoulders. The other characters are the people mentioned in the second verse, and a couple of onlookers. They're actually saved to transparent backgrounds in their original form, I just added a dark background for here to make them more visible. They are supposed to be ghosts of the former customers and I made the heads and arms on separate layers so they could be animated.
 
 
The old man laughing was animated on a transparent background so the clip could be imported into effects at post production stage.

 
How one of the ghostly characters might have looked on set. This was to be the barman standing behind the bar. The set would have been dimly lit for this shot which would add to the haunting atmosphere. When I get some spare time I think I'll try adding these characters to the final footage to see how they would've looked against the finished lighting.

 
One 'trick' I wanted to try out was to create the effect of a real fire in the hearth by using actual flames footage that I'd captured on my mobile phone. After making a cavity in the chimney to conceal the phone we played the video of the flames. It worked fairly well but when we were filming the lighting proved too bright and the flickering light from the flames was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment