Finally I've got back to working on the masks.
The old man mask has been given a coat of varnish to seal and protect it.
I had intended to replicate a fly / wasp eyeball by gluing mesh (onion bag) over the semi-sphere eye of the insect/ alien mask. Unfortunately the mesh came loose the next day when I tried to trim it. Having since bought some chrome spray paint for a different project I decided to spray the eyeballs chrome so they'd be reflective. This might look good in dim or filtered light.
I had been putting off painting this mask until a time when I was using paint for something else also (I always seem to put out too much paint and end up wasting it). I masked off the edges of the eyeballs and basically dappled on a few different colours, blending them a little. The uneven texture caused by the balloon bursting at the start worked out really well. I dry-brushed a mix of alizarin crimson and turquoise over the raised ridges which kind of makes them look like protruding veins.
I then removed the masking tape and added a layer of varnish which gives the mask a slimy, reptilian look.
So now I just have to add hair, eyebrows and a moustache to the old man mask and the antennae to the insect/ alien and they will be finished. At least they'll be ready for Halloween.
No comments:
Post a Comment