Friday, July 31, 2015


Before I got to finish the masks I got involved in another 'gig'. My kids, and most of the neighbours kids, had decided to film their version of some scenes from 'The Hunger Games'. I volunteered to help them make some weapons, swords and axes, as it would be an opportunity for me to get some more experience at making props. I should have known that "helping them" would mean that I ended up doing all the work. It was probably for the best anyway as a lot of the work involved using sharp knives and saws. I haven't seen much of that film but I think they fought with medieval style swords, bows and arrows and axes. Anyway I decided to make several swords and a couple of axes. I did a bit of research online and made a few sketches but basically ended up designing as I went along. The first design was for a double-sided axe, the kind you might see a Viking using. My intention was to make everything with card and cover the joints with paper mache.

 
It took a few attempts to get the symmetry right for this axe head shape. After a lot of measuring and using a French Curve I finally got the right look. Using the card from a cereal box I placed one sheet below the design so that when I cut out the curves I'd have two exact shapes.

 
I kept an extra centimetre around the edge of one piece of card to make joining flaps.

 
Making the top and bottom sections proved harder than I'd anticipated as there is a tapering curve that was difficult to measure. I also had to allow for a handle shaft going through the centre.

 
I then sealed the joint with a layer of paper mache.

 
The original handle was too thin and crooked.

 
I replaced the handle with a thicker, straighter one.

 
After cutting a hole in the base I glued the handle in position.

 
The next step was to fill the inside space with polystyrene shavings mixed with PVA glue, which I expected to set into a solid shape.

 
I filed down a block of polystyrene into a paper bag (to stop it from going everywhere).

 
I then mixed them with the PVA into a paste that I spooned into the axe-head cavity.

 
This was a slow and messy process. It's a pity I didn't have some of that foam block we used for the deserted village set. I could have just trimmed that into the right shape.

 
With the cavity filled I had to fit the top cover.
 

 
Again I sealed the joints with paper mache.
 

 
I also wanted to make a dagger so I began this by gluing several layers of thick card together and leaving overnight.

 
Back to paper macheing the axe-head. Because of all the curves this proved to be very time consuming as I had to use small pieces of paper.

 
After drawing out the design of the dagger onto the card I began to cut it into shape with a hacksaw.


 
I also had to use a fret saw for some of the smaller cuts.

 
This built-up layers of card proved to be very sturdy and workable. I was even able to file the sides of the blade into a tapered edge.

 
The handle will need some more layers added to give it a thicker profile.

 
 
I designed a different axe-head which I intend to make by building up several layers of thick card - similar too the dagger. I drew out the design on card first which I cut out to use as a template.


 
As this axe-head will run through the handle I cut a central support from 6mm hardboard.


 
More layers of paper mache were needed on this axe-head as the inner filling never set properly and was a bit spongy.
 
 
I then cut several 15mm strips which would be layered together to form the sides of a sword blade.
 
 

Joining the long, thin strips took a bit of forward planning.
 
 
I had some strips of 2cm x 1cm wood lying around which were to be rigid central supports for the swords.

 
I then cut 2 matching pieces of card for the sword blade faces.

 
The wooden strip was then placed along the centre of the blade face

 
I then glued the 15mm layered strips on either side of the wooden strip.
 
 
The second blade face piece was then glued to the top side and the whole thing braced between 2 wooden lathes and several G-clamps

 
Considering the amount of time the first sword was taking I decided to vary the design. I experimented with just using a single piece of thick card folded in two, with a central wooden strip for support.


 
This process was much quicker though the downside is that the edges are much blunter - probably a good thing if kids will be using them.

 
This is the first sword with the joint taped closed. I will cover this completely with w few layers of paper mache to reinforce the joint seal.

 

 
Back to the dagger. I cut more of the lower handle shape to deepen its profile.

 
The size didn't match very well so it will mean a bit of filing. I found that metal files work well on this card, but progress is slow. I'm going to try an electric angle-grinder next time.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment