Sunday, May 17, 2015




Something that really grabbed my attention while working on the film set was the steam punk props. I'd heard of steam punk before but had never researched it, so that's what I've done since. I find it amazing how the designers combine all the different elements, sometimes using or modifying unrelated objects. I'm posting a few of my favourites for anyone who's unfamiliar with this style.


 
Modified goggles seem to feature a lot



 
Mechanical animals and insects show incredible inventiveness


There was a couple of buckets of clock parts on the set, hardly surprising in an automated world


Such a simple idea yet amazingly executed



 
A close examination of this violin might reveal how much of the decoration is achieved.




















 
This style of design, or re-design, is definitely something I will be experimenting with in the future.
 
I managed to do a bit more to the insect mask. I took the eyes off their mould and tried them on the face. I had planned to paper mache them in position but they wouldn't sit properly due to the ridges of the surface. So I cut out two holes in the correct position and then glued the semi-spheres (eyes) into place.
 
 
This is the view of the inside of the face with one eye glued on.

 
 How the mask looks now with the eyes in place. I still have to add the antennae but they make the whole thing a bit big so maybe I'll try and figure out a wat to make them detachable.
/
 
What not to do when using a hot glue gun.
Well it looks like the masks won't be finished for the assessments, but I'll bring them in anyway as a work in progress.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment