Monday, October 5, 2015

Our second brief in 4th year is to create an Infographic, based on a monologue from a movie of our choice. Luckily there's a website that lists the top 100 movie speeches and monologues and I was able to pick a monologue from there. I chose an excerpt from the film 'Trainspotting', directed by Danny Boyle. Here's the clip, which is available online, and it's called 'Choose life'.

 
To be honest I didn't know a whole lot about Infographics before this brief came up. Naturally I did some research and it seems that it's fairly "Motion Graphic" based, which will mean utilizing Adobe's After Effects. This is really a good thing though, because I don't use this program often enough, and it is one of the more effective programs for post production.
 
I picked this clip because the character - Ewan McGregor - conjures up a continuous stream of imagery, or at least that was my interpretation of it at the time. I didn't realise just how much imagery was involved until I went about creating the storyboard. Ideally I wanted to create the graphics in Adobe Illustrator - being vector graphics they would transfer onto the big screen with perfect resolution. The only problem with that plan was that I'm not very familiar with Illustrator. I did what you might call a crash course for most of the first week (it was a two week brief), but I just couldn't get to grips with it, considering the time frame, and so I switched to plan B (always have a plan B). O.k., I'll be honest - I didn't really have a plan B. My only option, when I realised the amount of work to do, was to get my storyboard done, then the animatic, and get as much of the actual Infographic finished as was possible in the time I had available. Sometimes you just have to face the fact that your not going to get finished in time - it's gonna happen - but sure if you do what you can, then it's better than nothing.
One thing I noticed about Infographic's seem's to be the transitions, something at the end of one shot merging into an intro for the next. I did manage to achieve this - in my head - but transferring that to paper wasn't so easy. Anyway this is the storyboard to date.
 



 


You'll notice from the clip that there are a few sections where's there's no talking, so I used my artistic licence and edited the soundtrack a bit. Basically I cut out these bits so that there's a continuous dialogue. I did leave in the laugh after the "electric tin-opener" line though, as I came up with a visual to suit (the laugh) as a tin of beans gets opened and the lid pops up - amazing. I'm afraid I didn't work out how to actually do this though, in After Effects, so it'll probably never happen.

In the end I decided to create the graphics in Photoshop - it was either that or draw them on a light box. I know they won't look great but considering the amount of time I've put into this I really just want to have something to show at the deadline.

 
The animatic - to date - I would like to have had the time to have added full colour, or at least some sort of the lighting effects, or transitions, but sure ye'll get the gist of it. Hopefully in the next post there'll be something more finished, more like what I had initially envisaged (but I wouldn't hold your breath).

No comments:

Post a Comment